Sunday

38 sleeps + 60

I'm sitting here at work reading the angryarab blog, looking at random NatGeo photographs and researching chinese horoscope compatibility. That's how I roll at work on a Sunday when nothing's going on.

I remember a conversation I had with my dad a couple of years ago. My dad called me one Sunday, randomly, politely, gently, to say hi. That's not really like my dad. Usually it's a rapid fire exchange of what's happening in our lives, followed by a quick discussion of current affairs and ending off with the latest books we've read. Not so this time. It went like this:

Daddy T-Lo: Hi there.
T-Lo: Hey how are things there?
D T-Lo: Things are fine. I'm calling to see how things are going with you.
T-Lo. Fine, the usual. Have you read Robert Fiske's -
D T-Lo: How's work?
T-Lo: Oh, we're pretty busy these days.
D T-Lo: That's good. That's good. How's the Masters?
T-Lo: Very good. I got a first for my Corporate Governance course.
D T-Lo: That's good. That's good. How's the kung fu?
T-Lo: It's muay thai, Dad. And it's great. I came second in the UM4 and we fought with no pads... it was great!
D T-Lo: What's muay thai?
T-Lo: It's thai boxing. It's like kickboxing, only you can use your elbows and knees. It's AWESOME!
D T-Lo: Oh. I see. That's ... [pause] I'm glad to hear you did well in your competition. Soo.... [pause] is there anyone special in your life?
T-Lo: What do you mean?
D T-Lo: Do you have a boyfriend?
T-Lo: Nope.
D T-Lo: Anyone on the horizon?
T-Lo: Nope.
D T-Lo: Any... uh... recent one night stands?
T-Lo: Dad! NO!
D T-Lo: [using a voice that I swear he picked up from Dr Phil] You know, if you have a girlfriend, you can tell me. You know we'll all love you no matter what.
T-Lo: DAD! I'm single! Not a lesbian!

Bloody hell.

But I think it goes to show how much my family worries about me when I'm over here. I never tell them at the time when something goes wrong, always after. Like, "Hahaha! Four months ago I got mugged! Hahahahh!" or "Hahahahha! I just got over pneumonia! Hahahah!" because I also don't want to them to worry unnecessarily. I think they've all come to accept that I'll always land on my feet somehow and manage to sort myself out and take care of myself.


I must admit, after nearly 13 years, I'm looking forward to getting on that big bad iron bird and singing "I'm coming home" in the manner of Ozzy Osborne, only without the headless dove, the previous heroin addiction and the pack of not-house-trained toy dogs.

No comments: