Monday

31 sleeps + 60

TheGreek is out of town for two weeks in Stellenbosch, attending a security management course and terrorizing innocent first year university girls. Boo! Hiss! Ahz miss mah Greek housemate. Two weeks! Who am I going to order my mid-week double deal pizza with? Who am I going to argue superpowers with? Or dream symbol interpretation? Or lang-aarm (uh... Afrikaans barn dancing, roughly) to AC DC at 2 am in the lounge?

In his honour, I give you a moment with my housemate, theGreek.

[A hot Saturday, mid-day]

T-Lo: I'm going to Woolies to grab some food. Do you want some?
theGreek: I don't know. What kind of food does Woolies have?
T-Lo: [after a moment's stunned hesitation] Um. I'm getting some fruit.
theGreek: What kind of fruit are you getting?
T-Lo: Melon.
theGreek: What kind of melon?
T-Lo: Watermelon.
theGreek: Like, a whole watermelon or some cut up watermelon?
T-Lo: Cut up.
theGreek: Cut up how?
T-Lo: Well, there is some choice. You can get a small tub of cubed watermelon. Or you can get a large tub of watermelon wedges. Or you can get the melon trio, which is a large tub of watermelon, wintermelon and sweet melon wedges. Or you can get a watermelon and mango fruit salad. Or you can get a small tub of mixed fruit salad that contains watermelon.
theGreek: What was the first choice again?
T-Lo: Small. Cubes.
theGreek: I'll take that. What else are you getting?
T-Lo: Probably a burger.
theGreek: Like a pre-packaged ready to eat burger?
T-Lo: Yes.
theGreek: What kind of burgers do they have?
T-Lo: I'm getting one with mushroom and cheese.
theGreek: Oh, that sounds nice. I'll have that.

Off I trawled to Woolies, sweating in the heat of the mid-day sun. I got back. I gave him his burger and his watermelon cubes. I opened my burger and my watermelon wedges. He eyeballed my watermelon wedges and asked: "Did you give me that option?"

I almost fell off my chair.

2 comments: