Friday

65 sleeps

I'm really gearing up for my last fight in SA. I've been training in the morning (work issues at night). Little Mouse and Miss K from Canada (broken knee and all) have been holding pads for me - thanks, ladies!

In my experience, all fighters have their own peculiar little way of prepping themselves for fights. There's the standard work the fitness and work the technique thing, but we all have nuanced differences in the details. I love the pad work for fitness, the bag to get me moving properly and sparring and grappling to get focused. And I hate - HATE - skipping with an absolute passion. I would rather cycle my brains out for an hour, or do sprints up and down the length of the gym non-stop, than skip. The Little Mouse, on the other hand, skips for 45 minutes straight without cracking a sweat. It just looks so ... painful ... to me.

And then there's the diet! New fighters are always asking how to get their bodies properly fueled. Again, it's up to the individual. Little Mouse has pasta and black coffee to give her energy. If I had that, I would need a 3 hour power nap. Miss K likes her fish and salad. I'd be hungry after 12 minutes. I need red meat and green veg... a steak and a bunch of kale work perfectly for me. I think Miss K would rather eat dirt than eat that.

And... wow... last fight in SA. How did it all come to this? On so many levels? I'm going to miss my DP family when I go.

Oh - Miss K (who was born in the same town as me in Canada.. how weird!) sent me this today, which has had me rocking at my desk :)

No comments: