Thursday

45 sleeps

Aside from the non-synchronized traffic lights, another thing that drives me absolutely batsh*t crazy about Cape Town is all the flyers that people stick on your car when you park in town. I went out for a meal on a Saturday night a while ago with friends. When I got back to TheNotTheBullet, the entire windshield was littered with glossy flyers of half naked women and promises of fabulous nights in the dark recesses of random clubs somewhere. I swept across the windshield with my left arm, then again with my right and managed to get 80% of them off. One flyer caught my eye.

Balkanology? That sounds interesting. Now, before I go on I should mention that I have written two in-depth essays, one from a historical socio-political perspective and the other from an international criminal law perspective, on the 1990s Balkans conflict.

So, naturally, I saw "Balkanology" and I thought that it was a retrospective on the conflicts and the events of the 20th century in the area leading up to the recent declaration of independence in Kosovo, maybe a photography exhibit , some speeches, literature to read, forums of discussion...I got really excited - Mental stimulation! Cultural relevance! International relations! Conflict studies!

Nope. It's some Balkan-fusion beat party in Durbanville somewhere. Boo! Hiss!

No comments: