Tuesday

43 sleeps + 60

I'm having a rare deep-and-meaningful moment.

I had drinks with the Sexy Surfer last night after work (who has a "date" on a Monday night at 11:30? T-Lo does!), who told me about a near death experience and how it altered his perception of his life. And by "near death experience", I mean a real one... not like my "oh-my-god-I-fell-off-my-horse-and-he-ran-home-and-
left-me-on-the-beach-and-I-almost-died" near death experience... it was one of those experiences where you have actually resigned to yourself that This Is It. Hec-tique. Can't say I have genuinely ever had that. Some big scares? Yes. Frustrating moments? Sure. Big injuries? Of course. But not that. I haven't even been in a car accident (unless you count that time I rear-ended a minivan full of retirees while waving at my father, but I digress).

Anyway, he said that as a result of his experience, his perception of life changed and everything he has done has led him to this current moment in his life.

That got me thinking in a brow furrowed, jaw gaping, middle distance glaze way. Does everything we do lead to where we are right now? For example, if I had stayed with that first finance job I got when I was 20 instead of switching to another finance job, would I still be sitting right where I am today? If I chose Thailand instead of the Philippines in 1997, would I still be in South Africa? Generally, if I did X instead of Y on numerous occasions, would I still be sitting here nonetheless?

I have never had one of those brilliant life defining moments (unless you count getting popped by the Little Mouse's right in the first round of a UM4 and getting distracted by all the pretty white stars dancing in front of me, but I digress). I have definitely had periods of my life where the 'flow' was good. And there have been other times where I feel like I am wading through wet cement just to make it through the day. But never anything like the Sexy Surfer experienced. I'm kind of jealous. Where's my life defining moment? Where?

Oops, must go work. My boss is looking at me worriedly. I think the gaping jaw, bit of drool and middle distance glaze is scaring him.

1 comment:

DomBom said...

Wait...hold that....let's digress a little...

YOU had a "deep-and-meaningful moment"????

That shoulda been ur blog entry. Right there.

TLo had a deep and meaningful moment. Suffice.